From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Andrew Mathews
Sent: Monday, 21 January 2002 1:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Caldera on Dell Latitude

Lavinius Romio Petru wrote:

> The only MS product use is win2k on a Dell Latitude PII 400 but now I
> have made the decision to install Linux on this as well so I will be
> 100% Linux user. Now here are a few questions.
>
> 1. Has anyone installed linux on one of these things?

Yes, and it's quite painless.

> 2. Would Caldera or Debian be a better choice? I have OpenServer on a
> few servers but at home I use slackware.

Caldera works great, but so do most other current distros.

> 3. I have a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet/56k combo, am I likely to run
> into problems? Video card is NeoMagic MagicGraph256AV, NeoMagic
> MagicMedia256AV sound and smc IR port.

I use a Xircom RealPorts card which both nic and modem work perfectly.
Can't say about the CreditCard model though. See the SxS under Laptops
--> Latitude as to the NM256 card. It works fine, just a little config
needed.

> 4. I use my Nokia 6210 to update the address book and as a modem while
> I'm on the road, will this still work?

Don't know.

> Any help will be greately apreciated
>
> Regards,
>
> Lavinius Romio Petru (Register Linux user #  257120)
> Network Administrator
> Cell 041212-5332
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.rom-tech.net

Andrew Mathews
  7:55am  up 14 days, 14:51,  4 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.03, 1.05
A public debt is a kind of anchor in the storm; but if the anchor be
too heavy for the vessel, she will be sunk by that very weight which
was intended for her preservation.
                -- Colton