On Monday 28 January 2002 12:58 pm, Lee wrote:
> Recently a friend saw a preview of Linux on the Tech tv channel. He was
> particularly impressed with the portion devoted to GIMP and he asked me
> to install my version of SuSe 7.2 on his box. He likes Linux, but has a
> problem that I am not familiar with as I don't use Gimp much. Once Gimp
> has been opened how does he load photo files from the cdrom or windows
> side of the dual boot. Using FreeDisk it's possible to open the windows
> photo files, but can't find a way to load them in Gimp or save them back
> to the windows file after they have been worked on.
>
> Lee

I think what you need to look at is the MOUNT command.

Certainly if you mount a cd-rom you can get files off of it by looking at the
'mount point' for the files.

For a Windows dual boot situation, you can mount the Windows partition...
(and automatically to by setting /etc/fstab to do the mount at boot time.)

Once these things are mounted, he'll feel right at home.