On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:02:12 -0500
begin  Bill Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> so far a total of 2 have stopped and the 3rd has never started:
> messages and cron have stopped loggin
> named never started logging to /var/log/named
> despite stopping named, cron and syslog then starting syslog cron and
> named?
>
> but why would messages top logging too..?
>
> anyone..?

OK, and sometimes if I dig just a _tiny_ bit, the answer is in front of my
face:

logging {
      channel "default_syslog" {
            // Send most of the named messages to syslog.
            syslog local2;
      severity debug;
      };

the above from a bind-9 named.conf.  It's programable.  But don't use
local2, ppp uses local2.  Try using local3-local7.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto
Internet (H323) phone: 206.28.187.30