OK. I just remembered. I was fooling around with permissions on my
home directory last night.  Although it is not blazened everywhere,
the permissions of the directory where .forward resides have to be
restrictive. I had made my home directory world writeable (not smart)
while trying to fix a samba problem. So, I changed my permissions back
to normal on my home directory and all is working again.

Naturally, I neglected to look in /var/log/mail in which there were
multiple error messages spelling this out.

Joel