Hi, I am trying to ssh to a Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS virtual machine -
temporary host is an XP box running VMWare Server 2.02.  Previously when
hosted on an ubuntu box I could ssh to it, whether this move has
something to do with this "breakage" or not I'm unsure.

The VM appears to function normally in other ways.  I can ping it from
the network by name or IP address, I can ping from it by name or IP
address.  I can ssh from this box to another on the network.

I believe the daemon is running and listening on port 22:
ro...@neptune:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
  * Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server
sshd

[ OK ]
ro...@neptune:~$ sudo netstat -anltp | grep sshd
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*
LISTEN      6464/sshd

Nothing relevant in iptables:
ro...@neptune:~$ sudo iptables  -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Nothing but commented lines in /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

Error is always this:
ro...@mercury:~$ ssh neptune
ssh: connect to host neptune port 22: Connection timed out
(same with ssh ro...@neptune or ssh ip-address)

This also:
ro...@mercury:~$ telnet neptune 22
Trying 10.2.1.202...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

Here endeth my efforts.  Can anyone suggest where to from here?

Cheers,
Roger