Thanks Jim and Craig for the suggestion to do fsck and possibly write
off the partition, as noted it is a backup drive and 1 of 2 that are
regularly rotated because you never know when something might go wrong!
I expect (and will check) that my rsyncs will have the correct files
copied over next time I use that drive, it will just be a longer than
normal sync.  Not that it matters because it will be out of hours anyway.

So I'll consider the problem solved.

Cheers,
Roger