Exploring all the menus, particularly settings under Edit > Preferences
is essential when playing with something new.  There you find under
Appearance is what will happen when Seamonkey starts up.  Turn off
Browser, turn on Composer.

Right click Seamonkey entry in Internet menu > add to panel.

"whereis seamonkey" gets you going on a different route as suggested by
Nick.

Cheers,
Roger