On 25/11/11 4:32 PM, C. Falconer wrote:
> Derek Smithies wrote, On 11/25/2011 03:51 PM:
>> more ram is actually an environmentally friendly activity....
> And its astonishingly cheap these days.
I put 8GB of RAM in my current work desktop machine, htop tells me
nearly all of it is allocated.  Partly due to having several VMs
running.  Runs nicely (helps that it is quad core).  Trickier is fixing
up someone's current and underspec'd purchase.  More RAM in a windows
machine always helps.  If no spare slots for adding, then replace.  Good
for current generation, poss. a bit pricey for the previous, not worth
it for the one before that.

On another tack, I've just seen for myself what a huge difference the
window manager makes.  I put mythbuntu 10.10 (for a front end) on a box,
an Athlon dual core 1350 MHz with 4GB RAM.  It uses xfce, and has
blazingly fast boot time: POST is the usual 11 secs, desktop (including
an auto log in) a further 19 secs!  Mythtv loaded ready to select a
recording for a total time of 50 seconds from pressing the power
button.  Loading an application like Firefox happens in a snap.  Shut
down takes about 3 seconds.  A bit different from the usual KDE 4.x or
XP/7 experience, that's for sure.

Cheers,
Roger