I've interestingly noted that thunderbird (favoured by many of us) encourages bottom posting by it's default setting, but every time I set it up for someone (or myself) I always change that.

I'd add that if I am coming in to a thread as the 2nd or subsequent reply, to follow what the method used already, so while I personally prefer top, I'll follow a bottom posted thread in my replies.

Cheers,
Roger