Volker Kuhlmann wrote, On 21/01/14 11:12:
> Normal cables should be fine, especially if you use (neutral cure!) silicone
> sealant around the outside of the joints, so you can remove it when needed.
yup - good point.
> I would put the pipe where it remains accessible if at all possible. You
> never know, so why make it difficult unnecessarily? Enter garage above
> ground and above the slab. Independence is gold. By all means put a pipe
> through the slab as well, but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it early on.
The plan is down from patch panel in house, below ring foundation, then
rise up at the nearest corner of garage and conduit across to back
corner.  That way its a straight run and the shortest path.  My current
path around the fence adds about 24 metres per run.
> If it's only data you don't need to go deep - 10cm will do
There's power for the cameras too, but that's not enough to make a
difference
> Do you really need 10 CATx cables to your garage? Sounds crazy. Put a dumb
> switch in the garage instead. Analog connections? Are you sure?
> That's asking for a lot of noise on that length of cable. Digitize in
> garage, buy yourself an RPi (or whatever), connect to switch. Can you
> really make a good case for more than 3 CAT6 to the garage???
Yes - one or two for data, the rest are currently used for analogue
video back to a security recorder.
Theres no noticeable problems due to the current length, and they all
run together at this time.

The machine with the grabber card is not quiet, so its not going in the
house.

Plus, not needing to run a switch in the garage for two machines
simplifies the network.

Thanks all for the input - I've now got some digging to do :)

--
CF