On 20/09/14 11:49, Chris Hellyar wrote:
Random Q: for the weekend.. Got a M/B without USB 3 I'd like to stick a card in.
Anyone bought one recently?  Chipsets to avoid?  Emotional outbursts?

I've got one on my desk at work that goes fine with linux - can't remember the chipset sorry.

It was getting ~110 Mbytes/sec to a USB3 HDD measured with hdparm -t, close enough. That does create a fair level of CPU load, much more than a sata-connected drive. If you can do esata instead then that's good enough.

Was a CDL item, but their web site is down for maintenance at the moment. From memory it was ~$40 a year ago.

This one has a 4 pin berg power connector, but doesn't require it to be connected. Probably something to do with ability to request too much power off the PCIe bus.

Welcome to borrow it if you need.

--
CF