Oh no, it has a click-bait name already: "Shellshock"

On 25 September 2014 17:00, Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> So bash is shellshocked
> hey you apache users
> get it patched right now
>
> Unfortunately those devs who think they can make sites production ready
> through dashboards like cPanel and Plesk ( not singling them out, just
> using common ones as examples! ) can easily set stuff up with cgi
> without knowing.
>
> Hardcone nginx / fastcgi junkies on the command line shouldn't really be
> affected. I just wrote a script to go round and update my clients as the
> press had put the wind up a few of them.
>
> TBH for the hands-off ones I install yum-cron / cron-apt so it would
> have been fixed by tomorrow automagically anyway...
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, 2014-09-25 at 16:39 +1200, Chris Hellyar wrote:
>> Thinking topical,
>> It consumed most of the day
>> as a precaution
>>
>> An exploit is found
>> Bash, CGI scripting flaw
>> new patches employed
>>
>> If you host on line
>> your version of bash do check
>> The repos refreshed
>>

>> Fin. :-)
>>
>> For those who have no idea what I'm on about:
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/24/bash_shell_vuln/
>>
>> There are some great headlines doing the rounds..  This one takes the
>> cake I think:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/2014/09/internet-braces-crazy-shellshock-worm/
>>
>> (What worm?  Wired should know better!)
>>
>> http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/new-bash-bug-could-pose-bigger-threat-heartbleed-n211006
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/shell-shock-bash-bug-labelled-largest-ever-to-hit-the-internet-20140925-10ltx1.html
>>
>> Great stuff...
>>
>> Considering the major attack vector would be bash CGI scripts which
>> anyone with a brain stopped using about 10 years ago I'm picking someone
>> got a bit excited and then the other news media got hold of it.
>>
>> Anyway, Debian and RH have both updated their repos... Illuminos,
>> SmartOS and Solaris appear not to be caught up in it due to compile-time
>> options for bash, and no-one who's got any sense uses OS X to host
>> something on the public Internet anyway.  I think that covers 99% of the
>> *ix hosting these days?
>>

>> On 25/09/14 16:01, Chris Hellyar wrote:
>> > On servers remote
>> > in Datacenters, lights out.
>> > Debian Makes sense.
>> >
>> > On Desktops deployed
>> > Surfing the great unknown
>> > Ubuntu's at home.
>> >
>> > For uptime you care
>> > five nines the contract denotes
>> > roll out Solaris.
>> >
>> > The data is large
>> > complex structures, indexes worse
>> > informix knows best
>> >
>> > as tight as a drum
>> > in security it shines
>> > lock down, BSD
>> >
>> > Slow day.

> --
> Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP
> [...]

------------------------------
This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
transmission.
If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
opening any attachments.