Morning,

Generally I'd agree with you but in the case of apache/php there are some major differences around how Debian/Ubuntu and Rehat/Centos based distros package them and if it's rh7/centos7 it's different again from rh6/centos6 so it is relevant.

Yes you could generically fix this, but if you mess about with the individual libraries and paths the solution will not cleanly patch/update via the distro's package management system... Which I suspect is the path Barry has gone down through frustration given that he was talking about library files in /etc which means something is not very 'standard'. I don't know of a distro that puts them in /etc, they should be in /lib or /usr/lib (or /opt/local/lib if it's Solaris ....)

I wasn't trying to start a distro-war. :-)

Cheers, Chris H.