On Wed 19 Aug 2015 00:00:39 NZST +1200, Adrian Mageanu wrote:

> From memory, the method described was a combination of utilities of
> which I can only remember photorec, and one of the forensic techniques
> described (among others)  was a way to read the disk by offsetting the
> head left and right by only tiny amounts for each pass.

Let's forget about photorec, that's just the example for piecing bits
together again when your recovered data ins incomplete. The details of
the forensic discussion would tell whether the author knows what they're
talking about. Heaps of reference has been made to Gutmann's paper and
people wrote heaps of software, while forgetting that it all no longer
applies to their drives... If you read "data can be recovered after dd"
establish what kind of drive it applies to, if it doesn't say or it's a
90s drive put it on the joke pile.

Micro stepping the head in a modern drive is about the only way for Joe
Smallfry to get anything at all. Let's assume the firmware is capable of
that, and that it has functions for that, because it's how the drive
itself finds the middle of the track. Once upon a time drives had
elaborate mechanisms to deal with thermal expansion etc, these days you
don't care, you just micro-step until you can read something and then
you stay with that calibration until your read error rate goes North.
These commands are not user visible, but assume they're user accessible
as long as you discover the secret command byte for them. Assume this is
possible easily (record commands from the manufacturer's disk test
utility etc). Btw all IDE/ATA drives are controlled by SCSI commands
and always have been, just the connector is different from SCSI, the
rest's the same.

Back in Gutmann's days write heads were 3 times (or whatever) as wide as
read heads, these days in a cut-throat market noone wastes 2/3 their
capacity. How much wider do you reckon the write head is now when you
can micro-step to the middle? Don't expect spare space between the
tracks or any other some such capacity waste.

When the drive operates normally, the read error rate is distinctly
non-zero. It just hides it from the user with error correction. When you
dd zeroes over the track, well-positioned because you can't afford to
damage the adjacent tracks, destroying say 90+% of the magnetic
recording, your error correction will quickly become non-functional.

I believe I've read a paper/etc about that sometime, but I won't find
it. Chances of success were minimal and very deep pockets were needed.
So when I hear "can recover data after dd" I want to know how exactly,
and with discussion of all the points above, otherwise it goes on the
"jokers" pile (and don't waste any more time on photorec etc please,
we're only interested in getting data back, not what to do with it
afterwards).

The totally safe way to destroy data is to de-magnetise the platter.
It's probably easiest for lay people to heat it above the temperature to
which the material stays magnetised. Otherwise, totally encrypt the disk
over its entire lifetime. Or, my conclusion, you can't practically
improve on dd without disk destruction. I'm happy to hear corrections...

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann
http://volker.top.geek.nz/      Please do not CC list postings to me.