> Message: 3
> From: Pete Mundy <p...@mac.geek.nz>

> The thread reminded me of this classic Dilbert:

He's right too....
For $25 (blame inflation)  you can have a HP t5740 thin client.

They're a Intel dual core atom N280 CPU at 1.6 GHz
with 1 GB ram and 2 GB flash disk.
I've used one as a firewall, using vlans on the gigabit ethernet port.
They have VGA and Display port, but I've not had both working at once
outside of windows.
7 USB2 ports, and an internal SATA connector too.
There's an internal PCIe slot but it would need some creative case hacking
to make it accessible.

I had these running Android x86 4.4 fine, as well as debian linux.
They'll come either blank or with windows XP embedded or similar.

There's a power supply included of course, but it probably needs a mains
power cable, likely to be a cloverleaf.

Full specs
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01926335

Teardown
http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/3335/hp-t5740-thin-client-teardown

These are on Trademe starting at $80 and going up from there.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=t5740&rptpath=all&type=Search&searchType=all&generalSearch_keypresses=5&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=

If you want one or more, please let me know quantities by off-list email.

The best thing - they're totally SILENT, and they only use a dozen watts.

Any questions ask directly and I'll summarise.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/