linux-users-requ...@lists.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:
> Getting a bit frustrated with the endless targeted spam. Trademe,
> facebook, green party and who know what else? For example I had only
> given the green party an email address on a referendum, though they seem
> to feel entitled to spam my account forevermore, and offer no method of
> unsubscription!
>
> Who do I complain to? What would be the best method of getting these
> email abusers dealt with?

The full documented legislation is at
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2007/0007/latest/DLM405134.html

I start with a nicely worded email to any contact I have at the site,
politely quoting the relevant sections of the act.

If they ignore or blow you off then report it at
http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Anti-Spam-Index

Remember you gave them your email address, so there's some grounds for
them to claim an existing working relationship.
Consider adding email aiases to your domain, and throw them away if the
address becomes widely known.
I am trad...@criggie.org.nz at a large ebay-like site, for example.

--
Criggie