Yeah Microsoft list as important updates KB2952664, KB3035583,
KB3123862 for windows 7 when all they do is install nag software and try
and push you towards windows 10.

I have come to the conclusion that
the name is faulty or the motherboard is, doubt caused by dust as now
booting up fine now I put back the original memory. Was starting to
effect Linux too so felt good time to stop trying

On 18.02.2016 21:29,
Peter Simmonds wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Maybe jumping the gun a little
(again). Apparently m$ has made the update to windows 10 a
"recommended"update (It's been on the radio). I had a computer in
similar condition (just the gaming rig) It would boot one time out of 2;
first time telling me I would need to reboot the computer to apply
updates, the second time after applying updates for 3 hours deciding it
couldn't apply updates and would then reboot back into the desktop.
Pretty impressive performance from an 8 core 4ghz 8gb machine! Disabling
automatic updates solved the problem immediately.

> With regards to
the RAM, sorry I missed that email and made an educated guess.

> I'll
read the rest of the emails now that I have uploaded my current train of
thought, and apologies again for using the Win**** word.

> Cheers,
>

> Peter
>
> On 17/02/2016 19:11, j.vi...@snap.net.nz wrote:

Tried safe mode and it gets up to pnp drivers and then freezes,

Repair mode downloads files and freezes and normal boot just stays at
message "Starting Windows"

wrote:

>>> Does windows boot in safe mode? When you say windows
doesn't boot, how far does it actually get?

>>> If you run a
memory checker does it come back all ok? It could be that windows is
is new ram) and maybe linux hasn't yet hit that space.

[mailto:linux-users-boun...@lists.canterbury.ac.nz] ON BEHALF OF
j.vi...@snap.net.nz
>>> SENT: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:32 PM

TO: Canterbury Linux Users Group
>>> SUBJECT: [Linux-users] Can linux
boot even when windows can not?

>>> Upgraded my computer from 8gig
to 16gig and suddenly from my duel boot, linux boots fine, windows 7
home premium does not.

>>> Linux shows all 16gig available
>>>

>>> can go back to old ram and boot up windows 7.
>>>
>>> Bios shows
all 16gig

>>> Got ram in slots 1 and 3.
>>>
>>> Is there
something clever that linux does that allows it to boot?

Anyone else struck this same problem?

Links:
------
[1]