Hi everyone,

This is not really a Linux related question but I thought I'd ask it here as
many of you have more network experience than I do and it is a local list.

The business I work for are moving buildings to Birmingham Drive. Our telco
currently supplies a business connection to the internet that is limited and
guaranteed to 30Mbps upload 30Mbps download but we are looking to increase that
to 50 or 100 Mbps each way.  The telco also want to supply us with a new
router, a Cisco 4331 to replace our old Cisco 1812 as it will handle the faster
speeds better but it is limited to 100Mbps without additional licensing costs.

The pricing on all this is a bit severe so I was looking at other options.

>From the router perspective:
  We have an ip address range of 203.167.210.240/28 (router has .241 on WAN
side) but this traffic is all passed straight through to our firewall devices
so no real work being done by the router I think. There are some rules that
restrict what ports are open to what addresses, but this is more of a hangover
from previous years, we now have much more robust firewalling and could do away
with these. Traffic wise there are several web servers, 40 or 50 ssh sessions
concurrently, office internet access (20 people), 1 or 2 SSL VPN sessions, and
backup traffic to offsite storage. Looking at a graph of allowed packets we
seem to peak at around 5MB/s (this may be higher at night when more backups are
replicating offsite).
  This Cisco 4331 appears to be rather expensive. I'm not sure of the exact
model - pricespy indicates $2500 to $5000 maybe, telco will charge almost $200
per month to rent and manage it for us which is similar to current charges, but
feels like they're creaming for not much work.

I'm really not sure what advantage this telco managed router is giving us over
something like the much cheaper Cisco RV345? If we don't use rules and letting
everything pass through then I think there is nothing to manage?
Or do we even need a router as such since the traffic appears to be passed
through using original addresses?

And as to the Internet plan:
  We are on fibre, we have a 'BIA' that guarantees the 30Mbps with unlimited
data and costs $950 per month!!
We could go to their Business Max Fibre plan at $160 per month which has
700-900Mbps download and 400-450Mbps upload but no guarantees of available
bandwidth.
The much higher speeds and lower price are definitely enticing but we couldn't
operate if speeds fell below 30 to 50 Mbps.

Does anyone have experience of what the minimum speeds across something like
this is we could expect? And its reliability?

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.