Markus Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I see actually no big problem to make all the circled and parenthesised
> numbers and letters doublewidth in the standard wcwidth, or even the EM
> DASH. It would just mean that the definition of wcwidth becomes an
> actual design issue, and not just like it is at the moment a function
> rather strictly derived from a Unicode database property.

I guess an additional character property is needed for this, although
this is rather a glyph property.  Perhaps some special combining
characters (FORCE DOUBLE WIDTH, FORCE SINGLE WIDTH) could be helpful
as well, at least for communication with terminal emulators.

> I also suspect that Japanese users will not really want to insist on
> doublewidth European letters. The only point of conflict that I see
> are the block graphics characters, as they are used in both
> communities widely with their respective widths.

There are also quite a few scripts which feature a combination of
simple and rather complex glyphs (the latter don't fit well into a
single-width box).  Cyrillic and the Latin Serbo-Croatian
transliteration are examples, and Arabic, Devanagari, and Tibetan are
actually displayed with both single- and double-width glyphs by Emacs.
In addition, there are combining characters which substantially change
the width of the character they are applied to.
-