"Bernard Miller" wrote on 2002-02-01 16:22 UTC:
> Hello,
> For those of you not already on the Unicode mailing list I thought you would
> like to be aware of www.bytext.org. Bytext has a much better design than
> Unicode and is a better long term solution. One of the main features is that
> it is designed to be searchable with fast 8 bit regular expression
> algorithms. You may want to build in some flexibility to deal with Bytext in
> your implementation of UTF-8, perhaps even give up on UTF-8 altogether if it's
> possible for you to focus on the long term.

UCS has quite a number of historic oddities, no doubt, but at least we
understand them rather well now and they are reasonably easy to work
around. The way we have started to use UTF-8 on POSIX, GNU, Perl, etc.
systems fixes already many of the same problems that Bytext tries to
fix. Therefore, I don't see Bytext offering any so enormously
significant practical advantage to consider it as a really serious
alternative to UTF-8.

I suspect that for our lifetime there was only one realistic moment in
history to get the entire industry to agree onto a single coded
character set architecture, and I fear Bytext comes pretty exactly 10
years too late here.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

Markus