Hi Peter,

Today at 18:25, Peter B. Steiger wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a runtime or build configuration option I can change
> to bring Unicode back?  I don't need keyboard support, just font
> displays in X.  I can send anything you need to see out of my /etc/X11
> or other /etc files (except group and passwd :-) ) that would help solve
> this mystery... I just don't know what else to try.

Uhm, how about your /etc/shadow? ;-)

Actually, you should probably move your fonts into ~/.fonts/ (for
single user, check /etc/fonts/fonts.conf for system-wide paths) if you
want new (fontconfig- and Xft2-using) software to find it.

Eg. get DejaVu (http://dejavu.sf.net/), URW-CYR or cm-unicode fonts
and put TTFs, PFBs... in ~/.fonts/ and check with fc-list to see if
they're found.  Then configure them as "Sans" and "Serif" faces in
Gnome and any other software you're using.  Of course, if you value
"for free" more than freedom, you can go with Microsoft TrueType fonts
designed by Monotype as well, but I strongly suggest against it.

Cheers,
Danilo