Hi Richard,

Today at 13:11, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 02:58:27PM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> "A japanese system administrator should be able to read the error
>> messages in japanese."
>
> Then the Japanese administrator doesn't understand the error message,
> so they cut and paste it into Google to find out what it means.  And
> they don't get any answers, because the answers exist in other
> languages (most likely, English).

So, in your opinion, when user needs the help most (something bad
happened), you want them to have to read English instead?

It's a chicken and egg problem.  If they're not translated, they'll
never be found on Google.  Once they're translated, they'll start
showing up. FWIW, most PO catalogs with translations are available via
web as well (through TPs, viewcvs, cvsweb, and similar stuff), so
they'll at least get a hit on a translation, where they would see what
was the original message if they really need it.

Try searching for 'make "Fehler 1"' on Google.  Surprise, it
turns a bunch of make errors in German.

Your argument is kind of like "one language for all people of the
world, so we can all understand each other".  That doesn't work in
practice, not only for rational reasons, but for emotional ones as
well.

Cheers,
Danilo