Hi,

2010/5/16  <bruno.via...@free.fr>:

> ----- "Adrian Sergiu Darabant" <aser...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote :
>
>> My need is to stream from both cameras in the same time.
> (...)
>> I tried to do that and I am succeeding up to query and map buffers but
>> then when doing VIDIOC_STREAMON - the first camera starts and the
>> second one always gets
>>
>> kernel: uvcvideo: Failed to submit URB 0 (-28).
>>
>> which seems to be linked with the usb bandwidth.
>
> Hello Adrian,
> This problem is mentioned in the "Motion" software FAQ: when streaming from
> multiple USB cams, each one must be plugged to its own USB controller, not on
> a hub, including motherboard hubs (typically the pair of connectors on top of
> each other).
> (cf http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
> first item)
>
> I experienced this problem on an eeepc 701 / linux: while streaming only
> v...@1fps the two webcams (Vesta pro + SPC900) had to be plugged one on each
> side of the netbook.
> But I could plug an external harddrive (recording both streams!) in the same
> hub as one of the cams! Go figure that...
> Same thing on a Dell desktop PC with Hercules cams under windows XP.
>

>> I don't know all the details about the USB transfer protocol but my
>> understanding is that - the driver should request a static bandwidth
>> allocation before starting streaming. Would it be possible to force
>> the streaming at a lower rate - maybe loosing some frames from the
>> camera but still allow multiple camera streaming ?
>
> Using distinct controllers is obviously just a workaround, but I have no idea
> if this bandwidth allocation problem can be dealt with at the driver level, I
> will leave this to competent people...

I think the problem with some cameras is that they request more
bandwidth than they actually need, so this causes this type of issue.
I've add no problem in streaming 2 QuickCam cameras from the same
controller in MJPG, but for other models/vendors it fails with the
exactly same settings.

Best Regards,
Paulo