Hi,

Just a little comment to clarify a point maybe unknown:

Actually Skype for Linux (I am talking about Skype v2.2 Beta) does support
MJPEG video ;)

"In the Linux client, you must either use YUV or MJPEG.  NV12 is not supported.
 To use MJPEG with the Linux client an external library is required to convert
the video data for Skype.

From the README file:
* If your camera capture is showing a green, scrambled or black image,
this workaround may help:
- Ubuntu 32 bit: install "libv4l-0" package and launch Skype with:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype
- Ubuntu 64 bit: install "lib32v4l-0" package and launch Skype with:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype
- Other distributions might have the same library, but may have a
different path."

Best Regards,

Marco.

>> Hi,
>
> Hello,
>
> Thank for you patience.
>
>> please use luvcview or guvcview for testing. If you need root,
>> then you should check you permission rights on /dev/video* or
>> /dev/dri/card* .
>
> I think root was a red herring due different setups of the
> environment.
>

>> Do the cam work stable if change  video parameters on windows.
>> Did you installed phillips driver on windows?
>
> This is the driver used as a driver for the webcam. in the webcam
> box thre's no installation CD anyway.
>
> Driver Name   usbvideo.sys Address    0x95C13000 End Address
> 0x95C37000 Size       0x00024000 Load Count   1 Index         136 File Type
> Driver Description    USB Video Class Driver Version  6.1.7601.17514
> (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) Company     Microsoft Corporation Product
> Name  Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Modified Date
> 20/11/2010 22:29:03 Created Date      20/11/2010 22:29:03 Filename
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbvideo.sys File Attributes      A Service
> Name  usbvideo Service Display Name   Dispositivo video USB (WDM)
>
> seems to me that is the stock USB driver of Seven. I've had non
> problems with MSN live, Skype or even DScaler (that sees the cam as
> Direct show).
>
> I've made some experiments using guvcview.
>
> I've asked to use a resolution of 172x144, then a resolution of
> 320x240 then again 172x144.
>
> The first time i can see the image correctly. The second time the
> program fails with a device or resource busy message The third time
> with the same resolution it fails with the same error
>
> To make  guvcview work again, I've to disconnect and reconnect the
> webcam from the usb bus. This behaviour is reproducible as normal
> use or root.
>
> Attached to this messages there is a log of the kernel messages and
> the console output of guvcview.
>
> I hope these data could pinpoint the area where the problem could
> lie and also warn the potential buyers of the cam of the possible
> problems with this Philips branded webcam.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Mike hmm...
you used mjpeg compressed stream for testing. how i said before, skype
on linux use only yuv-raw stream.
With the debug message you send i can see following
jpeg 172x144@30fps set 512 B/frame
jpeg 320x240@30fps set 768 B/frame - in this case we get error -28 ENOSPC No
space left on device. The bandwidth provided by this cam seems to be really
wrong. My
logitech set for bot jpeg 172x144@30fps and 320x240@30fps 192 B/frame. How
about raw? do it request wrong bandwidth for raw to?
Currently i do not know how to handle the freeze issue.
So here is the list of problems by this cam:
- - it is not USB 2.0, this is why we can request bigger resolution
- - it cant handle resolution switch on the fly, and in case of URB
error, we need to hard reset it.
If we will try to reset the cam with uvcvideo we will kill audio
stream (for cam with build in mic). This will make other people angry
and add unexpected bug.
- - it provide wrong bandwidth info. I still ask my self, how windows handle
this? or is there some
undocumented agreement between factories and microsoft?