Hi Johannes,

On to, 2014-11-20 at 16:14 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-11-20 at 13:32 +0200, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
>
> > - moved owner netlink port id from cfg80211_sched_scan_request to
> >   rdev in order to avoid possible races
>
> How does that really help though? You're not really locking it anyway.
>
> I think you should consider keeping it inside the sched_scan_request,
> but maybe make that an __rcu pointer.
>
> Your patch also still has the problem I pointed out to you before - you
> can get the following sequence of events:
>
> start_sched_scan (owner=true)
> close socket - schedule worker
> start_sched_scan (from another socket, owner doesn't matter)

If I am reading the code correctly from
nl80211.c:nl80211_start_sched_scan() this socket will get -EINPROGRESS.
Only after the worker has finished and called
__cfg80211_stop_sched_scan() will the other socket able to start a new
scheduled scan. Or I might have just missed some important detail
here :)

> run worker - cancels the new sched_scan
>
> You need to make sure the worker is flushed in start_sched_scan or so,
> which might require RTNL work there or something.
>
> johannes

Cheers,
Jukka