> On Fri, 2014-11-28 at 16:02 +0100, Lorenzo Bianconi wrote:
>
>> I just need to notify lower driver (ath9k in my case) to setup TPC
>> registers in order to take into account TX power configured in frame
>> descriptors. For that purpose I added tpc_enabled flags in
>> ieee80211_bss_conf and in ieee80211_conf. Is there any other variables
>> I can use to notify that configuration?
>
> Well, arguably, you can just do that unconditionally. If you want to do
> it "right" according to the nl80211 API that we introduced due to wext
> compatibility (IIRC), you'd have to look at the value passed in enum
> nl80211_tx_power_setting. This can take
>
> NL80211_TX_POWER_AUTOMATIC - no limit from userspace
> NL80211_TX_POWER_LIMITED - limit, but allow using less than specified
> NL80211_TX_POWER_FIXED - use exactly what userspace wanted
>
> I don't think any driver really implements this today, but you could
> take this as a hint and only enable TPC (with or without the user's
> specified limit) in the first two cases.

Sounds good to me. I will send a patch v2 where I will enable TPC if
tx_power_setting has been set to NL80211_TX_POWER_AUTOMATIC or
NL80211_TX_POWER_LIMITED. Right now ath9k computes maximum TX power
value per-rate as minimum between user TX power and channel/regulatory
constraints.

Best regards,
Lorenzo

--
UNIX is Sexy: who | grep -i blonde | talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch;
unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp;