Hi Johannes,

> On Dec 9, 2014, at 23:21, Vadim Kochan <vadi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It allows to identify the wlan kind of device for the user application,
> e.g.:
>
>    # ip -d link
>
>    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode
> DEFAULT group default
>        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 promiscuity 0
>    2: enp0s25: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
>        link/ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff promiscuity 0
>    3: wlp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP
> mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
>        link/ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff promiscuity 0
>        wlan

have we considered also exposing the mode of this netdev. So for example
sta,ap,p2p-go,p2p-client etc. If we can send dynamic updates via RTNL, we could
easily tell the networking management system what type of wireless device we
have here. I am thinking about it like "wlan/p2p-go" etc. Or should this be
better kept strictly to "wlan".

And I am not sure RTNL would be capable of changing this kind strings at
runtime anyway.

Regards

Marcel