>> settings.

>> > What you are saying here is that there is a bug in the firmware which
>> > makes it report wrong values for one of the antennas. But when you
>> > will have this antenna enabled (with your patch), the firmware will
>> > keep sending bad signal / noise values for it. If the driver allows
>> > the firmware to use this antenna (after your patch), the firmware will
>> > choose this antenna to receive beacons or to scan. Then, the driver will
>> look at the beacons' rssi (which will be wrong) and it will think that an AP
>> which is very close is in fact far away.
>> >
>> No. That is not correct, I think. What I'm saying is that sometimes (not
>> always) firmware is sending 0 (exactly 0) for signal and noise for some (or
>> all)
>> chains.
>> The case when all chains get 0 seem to be a known problem: it is worked
>> around in iwl_find_disconn_antenna. The case when only one chain gets
>> zero is not currently handled.
>> And just to clarify - all chains are affected by this problem, it's not like
>> one
>> specific chain is broken in some way and gets zero. So both of the cards I
>> have may be running with 3 chains or with 2 chains depending on how lucky
>> I'm during initial scan.
>>
>> It's just firmware that has a bug that sometimes returns zero for chain 1,
>> sometimes for chain 2, and sometimes for all of them.
>> So currently driver is already enabling chains for which we may get zero
>> later
>> for rssi (presumably this is true) if it gets non zero during scan for first
>> 16
>> beacons.
>> Moreover, if it gets non-zero for 15 out of 16 beacons the chain is not
>> disabled but gain values are wrong because of this - and one chain would be
>> amplifying things more than it should - this is currently happening to the
>> best
>> of my understanding.
>>
>> So my patch filters out results that we know are bad to account for this
>> firmware bug.
>> With this patch all chains with antenna attached get signal and noise
>> reading -
>> suggesting that firmware actually returns zero only some times and after
>> several retries we get reasonable statistics. It looks like there are some
>> 'transitioning' processes in firmware and if we out-wait them we get good
>> statistics.
>>
>> I'm not sure I see how this patch makes anything more worse than they
>> currently already are.
>> Currently it is already (presumably) possible to get wrong rssi reading
>> because chain that may have been enabled during first scan may get zeros
>> later. All my patch does is to enable all equivalently good (or bad)
>> antennas,
>> instead of two equivalently good (or bad) as current code does.
>>
>> Does this explanation make any sense? Is it flawed in some way?
> [...]

In fact it does, but apparently that's not the problem (I've checked
with monitor device and after seeing zeros during calibration I see
packets and max rate coming in from AP).

I've done some more testing and it turns out that original problem of
one antenna being disabled is caused by power_save parameter being set
to true. I cannot reproduce the problem with that parameter being set
to false.

I guess firmware turns off some receiving antennas to conserve power
and reports that stat as zero.

I see there is some logic to prevent power saving from affecting this
calibration but it looks like it doesn't work properly when
power_save=true and unfortunately I could not immediately figure out
why.

Please disregard this patch because original problem is cause by power
saving, not by firmware issue (at least as far as I could reproduce).

Sorry for not testing it more thoroughly before sending the patch and
thanks for kindly reviewing it and providing comments!

--
Martynov Nikolay.
Email: mar.ko...@gmail.com