On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Arend van Spriel
> <arend.vanspr...@broadcom.com> wrote:

>>> Any help would be highly appreciated :)
>>
>> Actually though I already sent you are reply, but alas here it is.
>>
>> bcmdhd is our aosp driver. I am maintaining the upstream brcm80211
>> drivers. Regardless your question is more for firmware running on the
>> device. So like the same behavior would be observed when using brcmfmac
>> with same firmware.
>>
>>> IEEE Std 802.11-2012, section 10.2.1.8 specifies that "when the STA
>>> detects that the bit corresponding to its AID is 1 i the TIM, the STA
>>> shall issue a PS Poll". In my capture there are cases when the STA
>>> exits the PS mode without waiting for a beacon.
>>
>> It is a bit tricky, but the standard does not explicitly say the STA
>> should be in power-save at any other time. So it is difficult to say
>> what event occurred on the STA side to exit PS mode. Also STA means
>> P2P-Client as you say. That means that you have multiple interfaces:
>> regular STA and P2P-Client. So is the STA connected to some other AP or
>> just not connected. wpa_supplicant will do intermittent scan or initiate
>> scheduled scan by which firmware will scan at a certain interval. That
>> is just some things I can come up with and I am sure there are more.

I agree that there may be some events belonging to the regular STA
interface that could trigger the Null Frame (which includes the exit
from PS Mode). However, I would expect to see some management frames
in the air before/after the Null Packet (e.g.: a Probe request in case
of a scheduled scan). But in my case the trigger for the Null frame
seems to be the ping request packet, the scenario is the same every
time: ping request -> Block ACK -> Null Frame (Wireshark trace
confirms this behavior).

I thought that you had a power save optimization algorithm that keeps
the card on a few milliseconds just to see if we can have a fast reply
from the peer. Does this ring a bell? :)

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Krishna Chaitanya
<chaitanya.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keeping the STA aside, as far as AP is concerned the STA is still in PS,
> so it should set the TIM/DTIM bit to 1 before sending out data to the STA.

Not necessarily, see section 10.2.1.6/l from IEEE Std 802.11-2012:
"When an AP is informed that a STA has changed to the Active mode,
then the AP shall send buffered BUs (if any exist) to the STA without
waiting for a PS Poll...."