Kalle Valo <kv...@codeaurora.org> writes:

>> I thought about _adding_ a devicetree binding document before sending
>> the patch. But in the end it would be an empty file, since I neither
>> add any bindings nor introduce a compatible string. I'm just add
>> support for the generic of_get_mac_address() devicetree property,
>> which is meant to be used via a devicetree pci childnode.
>> I grepped though the 4.7 code and found a few driver using
>> of_get_mac_address() without having a devicetree binding document:
>> - drivers/net/usb/smsc95xx.c
>> - drivers/net/usb/smsc75xx.c
>> - drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/sky2.c
>> - drivers/net/ethernet/cavium/thunder/thunder_bgx.c
>> - drivers/net/ethernet/wiznet/w5100-spi.c
>> - drivers/net/ethernet/arc/emac_main.c
>> Just let me know if you are still the opinion that a devicetree
>> binding document is required to get this patch accepted.
> I'm not familiar enough device tree to really comment. Can someone from
> the device tree list (CCed) help?
> Full patch here:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9300893/

I didn't get any comments so I guess we don't need to document the use
of mac-address in the driver binding document. At least
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/ethernet.txt supports that, even
if rt2x00 is a wireless driver.

Unless I get any objections I'm planning to apply this to
wireless-drivers-next (once it's open again).

Kalle Valo