On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 09:36:28AM +0200, Luca Coelho wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 21:04 -0500, Mel Stimmel wrote:
> >      I have a problem that recently arose with my Thinkpad model T61
> > running Ubuntu 16.04 with the Intel Pro 4965 installed.
> >      This system was working just fine until sometime in Dec., when
> > after one of the routine updates, the software can't see/find/recognize
> > the wireless adapter. It's not the adapter, as if I boot the system from
> > an older CD (show and tell mode) the wifi works just fine.

It's hard to tell for me what could changed after ubuntu update. I would
check if device initialize using "dmesg", then if interface is created
by "iw dev". If interface is created problem will be realted with
wpa_supplicant or NetworkManager . If there are no messages about
4965 device in 'dmesg' I would check if driver module is sill there:

find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name "*iwl*"

> >      When I do the command LSHW, it shows the driver as iwl4965, and the
> > version as 3.13.0-93-generic.
> >      I've been in the computer business since 1958 but are a newby to
> > Linux so don't any/many of the commands and/or it's inner workings.
> >      Any help that y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

> Adding Stanislaw, who is the maintainer of iwlegacy (which is the driver
> that supports iwl4965).

It's actually system configuration problem not driver by itself, better
place to search help would be ubuntu forums or google.

Stanislaw