On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Mark Greer <mgr...@animalcreek.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:54:08AM -0500, Geoff Lansberry wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Mark Greer <mgr...@animalcreek.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just realized that the linux-nfc is not CC'd so adding it.

> > Yes - I've discovered the primary trigger of my problems.  I'm using
> > some very small tags from Murata, and they don't have a strong signal.
> > Sometimes when writing, the tags can get corrupted data written to
> > them. When the tag is verified by re-reading it, neard bails out
> > because it finds non-utf8 characters.  So far I have found it
> > impossible to rewrite a tag once it has been mal-formed.
>
> Okay, that's interesting.  neard still shouldn't bail out so we'll
> have to look at that.

This is the most critical thing for us right now.  Can you make a
malformed tag and try it to see if you have the same issue?  What I
typically see is 0xFE character too early in the string, or similarly
the length being too long for the string.  If you can do that, then
try to write or read it via neard.  If you can confirm the quitting
behavior, that will help a lot.  I can live with the corruption,
because I can detect it and re-write if it happens.

> > No, we don't.  the last patch I've got in our kernel version is yours
> > from 7-21-2014.  I'm inquiring with more experienced people to see how
> > to address that.
>
> Oh... Then you really need to update.  Look at the master branch in the
> nfc-next repo
> (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sameo/nfc-next.git)

Those commits are in the latest ti build,
https://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel/commits/ti-linux-4.9.y,
 so I've built that up.  Unfortunately bricked the board and don't
have the dev tools to fix it with me.  Bummer, should be back into it
tomorrow.