On 06/03/17 13:38, Johannes Berg wrote:

>> Well it certainly attempts to via stuff like carrier sense. But that
>> is not fool proof and any time two routers hear a frame and both
>> decide to forward it immediately there is a chance that they will
>> both sense the air at the same time, decide that it is clear, and
>> lose both their forwarded frames due to a collision. How often that
>> happens is hard to say but we have observed that exact behavior a few
>> years ago with an 802.11 multicast routing protocol and adding jitter
>> significantly improved reliability.
>
> I'm really surprised by this since they both should jitter their
> transmissions already between CWmin and CWmax. Is that window somehow really
> super small for what you're doing?
>
> johannes

Isn't CWmin and CWmax only used for retries?
We recently had the problem that on 5MHz channels probe-responses of APs
which can't hear each other (hidden node problem) always collide.
See [1] for a trace showing the problem.
Yellow is the probe-request (and ack on success), the other colours are
3 APs.
Putting probe-responses on their own queue with it's own timing results
in [2] and seems to make the problem less worse.
However the first frame still always collides, and only subsequent
retries have the randomness of cwmin/cwmax added.
5MHz channels make the problem worse since frames are 4 times longer.

I'm currently trying to find a way to add some randomness to the initial
response, which it seems this patchset attempts to solve as well
(different context though).

[1] http://may.nu/images/problem.png
[2] http://may.nu/images/jittered.png