On 18-07-17 17:14, Ian Molton wrote:
> [...]
>>> PCIE code.
>>
>> ->swbad is used in the SDIO code to store the last value the window
>> register was programmed with, so as to avoid programming it twice.
>>
>> Im talking about making some attempt to unify the PCIE and SDIO bus
>> code, since they BOTH have the same constraint - an IO window that needs
>> to be moved about depending on the addresses being accessed.
>>
>> Whhat is really needed is for brcmf_pcie_select_core and a variant of it
>> for SDIO (and presumably USB, but I havent looked) to share common code.
>>
>> When you pull the code apart, its really not THAT dissimilar, but it
>> *looks* it and thats not a good thing.
>>
>> The major differences are:
>>
>> The PCIe code sets the window address in ALL the _{read,write}32 calls,
>> wheras the SDIO code does not.
>> The SDIO code does not have an analogue to brcmf_pcie_select_core() -
>> but it should, since it has similar restrictions. It works by good luck.
>>
>>> I don't see a need to cleanup just because we might change
>>> something in the future which could result in a bug because it was
>>> programmed perfectly pretty.
>>
>> -EPARSE
>>
>>> As far as I can see (and I can see a long way)
>>
>> Oh please.
>>
>>> there are not going to be a lot of changes in the pcie code in the
>>> near future.
>>
>> Maybe so - its a lot better than the SDIO code.
>>
>>>  - I don't need to justify to you why the code is different. I wrote the
>>> code and I'll be the one adding new functionality.
>>
>> You realise that this is Linux, right? its public code, and worked on
>> publicly, by many people. You might be a maintainer of a driver, but
>> that does not make you "king of Linux".
>>
>>> You need to justify
>>> prettying up the code while I'm familiar with the code after working on it
>>> for the last 3 years.
>>
>> "Its illegible shite (the SDIO code certainly is) and it should never
>> have got into mainline" sounds like pretty damn good justification to me.
>>
>> If you've been working on this crap for 3 YEARS then *hang your damn
>> head in shame* - I've been working on it for about 5 DAYS now, and I've
>> found 2 complete breakages (one admittedly patched now), a possible
>> firmware bug, and undefined behaviour in the SDIO bus code.
>>
>> But its NOT a pissing contest. I've sent patches. It doesn't matter how
>> long you've been working on the code - if the patches make it better,
>> then take the damn patches. Or at least explain why you aren't going to.
>>
>>> No offence,
>>
>> Too late for that.
>>
>>> but "Im going to be one to get familiarized with your prettifying
>>> changes while you just hop on to the next driver.....
>>
>> You cheeky bastard. "hop onto the next driver". As if that means anything.
>>
>> Just because you're familiar with the stinking pile of crap doesn't mean
>> it should not be touched for fear of breaking it.
>>
>> You're the one ploughing ahead adding new features on top of a garbage

Hi Ian,

Now stop yourself and listen. This is no collaboration in any sense. You
mentioned you don't know the maintainers, but you seem to easily
disregard us. Also you said it yourself all your patches are cleanup.
What needs fixing is the gscan feature detection and that one is on me.
So I am chasing that although I am actually on vacation. As long as my
wife does not notice we are ok :-p

>> Then add the new features.
>>
>> You could at the very least give some feedback on the 29 patches I sent
>> cleaning it up.

That really has to wait until I return as well as running some tests on
older 4329 and some newer chipsets.

>> For reference, I've noticed a couple of minor nits in my patchset ( one
>> spelling error in a commit message, one dangling variable, and some
>> minor shenannigans around f0 writes which needs a trivial re-work for
>> compliance with the linux mmc framework (I should use a QUIRK for the
>> func0 accesses - although the original driver code was worse and
>> actively worked around the quirk instead). I will re-spin and post them.
>>
>> In the mean time, I'd appreciate some review on the rest. Since you're
>> clearly full time on this driver, bloody well get on with it.

Actually, Hante is not working full-time on this driver. Neither am I.

Now please stop the insults when you hit some push back or in generalf
for that matter. It is awfully counterproductive for both you and others.

Regards,
Arend