On Tue, 2017-08-08 at 16:25 -0600, James Feeney wrote:
> Hey Dan

> > So one second the wifi might be the "best" link and then when
> > somebody
> > turns on a microwave oven or a baby monitor, it may be the "worst"
> > until the microwave's duty cycle completes a few seconds later then
> > it'll become the "best" again for a couple seconds then "worst"
> > again,
> > repeat until your Easy Mac is nice and warm and creamy.
> >
> > Furthermore, for some drivers IIRC when there isn't any traffic,
> > they
> > might drop the link rate very low because there's no reason keep
> > powering blocks when you're not transmitting/receiving any
> > data.  IIRC
> > the Intel drivers used to do that a couple years ago.
>
> Yes, thanks, but, while all of that is true, it has nothing to do
> with the
> question asked.

It's very relevant to the question.  Because if the speed is actually
not useful for the requested purpose, there is no real point in having
it reported it via ethtool.  Same for duplex.  Wifi is only "half
duplex", and so the property is actually meaningless for WiFi.

The bonding driver is requiring completely irrelevant information, or
at least information that simply doesn't make sense for some
communication mechanisms.  There's no way the bonding driver can make a
useful decision if the speed *intentionally* changes regularly.  At
worst, your bonding link will flip-flop between slaves every second or
two.  At best, bonding won't do anything differently than if the speed
was just faked to some fake lowest common denominator number so that
your wired link was always faster.

Sure, somebody could do a patch (like Ben has) that plumbs all this
stuff through.  But that's not solving the *actual* problem, which is
that this bonding change makes assumptions of slave devices that simply
don't match how those devices work.

Dan