On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:19 AM, sdnlabs Janakaraj <wsupra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am working on delay analysis of packets in wireless stacks. I am
> able to see lots of papers talk about therotical analysis. But I am
> more interested in practical evaluation.
>
> I am reaching out to developers community to learn how they actually
> evaluate the performance of the stack. In particular, I am looking for
> ideas to evaluate the delay experienced by packets within the
> mac802.11 stack.

Hi Prabhu,

Sounds like an interesting project. More often my instrumentation
focuses on aggregate performance and iperf throughput numbers suffices
for most of that. Occasionally I utilize internal performance measures
and/or data provided me by ftrace and related tools.

If you're unfamiliar with it, I suggest you look at the Bufferbloat
and Make-wifi-fast projects. I suspect that their data and techniques
and tools might be of interest to you:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast/

Also (shameless plug), I'll be discussing WiFi integration debugging
techniques and tools at the ELC-NA conference in March. Some of it
might be relevant. If you're going, please stop by and say hi.

http://sched.co/DXn3

I hope that helps.

- Steve

--