On 02/27/2018 07:30 AM, Harsha Rao wrote:
On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Arend van Spriel
<arend.vanspr...@broadcom.com> wrote:
On 2/27/2018 11:16 AM, Harsha Rao wrote:

Hi folks,
I am developing a new wifi driver for our sdio based wifi device.

I see that SDIO_VENDOR_ID and SDIO_DEVICE_ID for our device (We had
bought the SDIO IP from 3rd party)  is already  been used by some
other vendor and its already into staging .

Please suggest me how can I move forward to submit the driver for staging.

Can you be more specific about the conflicting vendor id and device id?

Hi,
My driver kicks in  with vendor id 0x296 and device id 0x5347.
But when I grepped the the kernel source I could see an other driver
wilc1000 using the same vendor ID and device ID
( We have a different hw than them !)

Is there a way to reconfigure the values in the SDIO host for
different value or does Linux allow two drivers with same values to
survive mutual exclusively

First come first serve. When a device is detected, the driver core looks for
drivers supporting it based on device table and the first that successfully
returns from the .probe() callback is bound to the device.

Regards,
Arend

Does Linux allow two drivers with conflicting device and vendor IDs to
stay on in kernel ?

Yes. We have a similar situation with the rtl8192e driver in staging and the rtl8192se driver in the wireless tree, which share PCI ID 0bda:8192. Our solution was to insert code in the probe routine that tests some value in addition to the PCI ID. In our case, that was the PCI revision id. Line 2496 of file drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtl8192e/rtl_core.c shows the test in the staging driver.

The downsides of this unfortunate duplication are that if the wrong driver loads first, then it remains loaded, you will need to cooperate with the maintainer of the other driver to insert the extra detection code, and you may need to do quite a bit of processing to be able to determine whether you have the correct device.

Larry