Yes this is WIFI chip set level power-save(based on idleness) and not
related to protocol power save. FW will turn off/scale down the
resources(clock/rails) based on opportunity(when ever idle mode is
detected). This power save is mostly done in disconnected state. I am
not really sure when framework/user-space triggers power-save
config(iw dev <devname> set power_save on/off). Then doing this from
user-space will be unnecessarily toggling this config or may not be
setting at disconnected state.
I think that 'set power_save' commands affects struct
ieee80211_bss_conf::ps parameter and I don't think it should be used in
this case. We already have ath10k_config_ps() for 802.11 level of power
saving.

Arend again proposed runtime-pm with which I'm not very familiar. But
why would we want to disable this? Doesn't it make sense to have this
feature always enabled to save power? wcn3990 is a chip for a mobile
device anyway.
it might be made for mobile devices but who knows how it is used by the market.

Sebastian

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Stubenwaldallee 21a, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottsch...@dd-wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565