On 2018-04-24 12:47, Kalle Valo wrote:
me...@codeaurora.org writes:

On 2018-04-19 19:15, Kalle Valo wrote:
Maya Erez <me...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

Setting EDMG channel through debugfs for connect and PCP start
commands.
Why? And what is an EDMG channel?
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches#commit_log_does_not_answer_why
I get bad vibes that this debugfs file is just a workaround for not
adding this to nl80211, a proper commit log would not give me such
vibes in the first place :)

EDMG (Enhanced Directional Multi-Gigabit) is a new feature, part of
11ad/11ay specification. In a nutshell it allows channel bonding of
60Ghz channels.

The debugfs is used for debug-only to allow forcing a channel, not
intended to replace NL API, which we are working to upstream such.

But why cannot you do debugging via nl80211 as well?

Debugging via nl80211 is possible, but there are benefits in using the debugfs interface: - Debugfs allows forcing a specific channel, which is not always an option with NL API - Debug via nl80211 is less straight forward and requires development of user-space application
and upgrade of the kernel version on the debug setups

If you believe that the duplication is not justified please drop this patch.

--
Maya Erez
Qualcomm Israel, Inc. on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.