On 07/17/2018 12:57 AM, Nicolas Cavallari wrote:
On 16/07/2018 21:31, James Prestwood wrote:
Hello,

I am a developer for IWD and trying to implement IBSS networks. The
initial IBSS_JOIN, 4-way, and setting the keys all works and I am able
to connect two stations. The problem is that I am hitting a timeout in
the kernel once the connection has succeeded and there are no more
frames flowing between stations. I dug around in the kernel and saw
there is a 60 second inactivity timeout which is precicely what is
happening. After setting the keys 60 seconds go by and I recieve a
DEL_STATION (log attached).

My question is: is this timeout expected after the station has been
added and the keys are set? If so how does one reset this timeout so
the connection can remain alive even if no data is being sent?
heartbeat of some kind?

This is not normal, but it isn't your fault. It's more a problem with your card
firmware/driver. What card/driver do you have ?

In IBSS mode, all stations are required to send beacons. The protocol is a bit
complex to arrange that, every 102.4ms, a station is chosen to emit the beacon.

I'm not sure this part is correct.  In practice, it seems to often happen this
way,
but last time I read the spec on this it seems like it is supposed to sort of
negotiate
and not have all ibss stations beaconning.

Thanks,
Ben

Receiving beacons from a station is enough to reset its timer, so with a
properly functioning station, this timer does not expire.

Unfortunately, in the wild, nobody test that IBSS beacons are generated, because
without them, an open IBSS still appear to work...

--
Ben Greear <gree...@candelatech.com>