On Mon, 2018-12-03 at 21:36 +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Hi Johannes
>
> I think your email can be basically summed up to:
>
> > [ ... ] but really I think it's a can of worms.
>
> ...right? :)

Heh, yeah :)

> I sort of had a feeling it would be, but thank you for spelling out in
> excruciating detail why that is so.

:-)

> Given this, I think I agree that it's not worth it for now, and we
> should hold off on adding XDP support until we have 802.3/.11 conversion
> offload working... Which I think is also where you ended up? :)

That case is at least easy, yeah. And it seems kinda likely that we'll
end up with that in all well-maintained drivers in the relatively near
future anyway?

BTW, in a sense I still kind of want to add eBPF to the mac80211 ingress
path, just not in the XDP sense. For example, I had a proposal a while
ago to add a filter to the monitor mode RX path(s) in eBPF; I still
think that's useful.

I also think it may be useful to put eBPF programs into per-netdev
ingress path, in order to e.g. collect statistics, rather than hard-
coding all kinds of statistics into mac80211.

All of these things I consider absolutely useful and helpful. I like
eBPF and the flexibility it affords. I just really don't think we should
call it XDP or let it do similar things to XDP like dropping or
redirecting frames.

johannes