On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:55 PM Tony Chuang <yhchu...@realtek.com> wrote:

> From: Brian Norris
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 5:33 AM <yhchu...@realtek.com> wrote:
> > > This also supports user regulatory hints, and it should only be
> > > enabled for specific distributions that need this to correct
> > > the cards reglutory.
> > There should be a pretty high bar for introducing either new CONFIG_*
> > options or module parameters, in my opinion, and I'm not sure you
> > really satisfied it. Why "should only be enabled" by certain
> > distributions? Your opinion? If it's the technical limitation you
> > refer to ("efuse settings"), then just detect the efuse and prevent
> > user hints only on those modules.
> >

> Because the efuse/module does not contain the information if the
> user's hint is allowed. But sometimes distributions require to set the
> regulatory via "NL80211_CMD_SET_REG".
> So we are leaving the CONFIG_* here for some reason that needs it.

Is there ever a case where user hint is not allowed? For what reason?
If not efuse, then what?

Or alternatively: if someone sets CONFIG_RTW88_REGD_USER_REG_HINTS=y,
then what problems will they have? Technical problems (e.g., firmware
will crash on certain modules) or <other> problems?

(If "<other>" means "legal", then just blink twice to acknowledge. Or
just don't answer.)

Brian