Bruce, Yocto kernel folks:

Here is a quick 4.8.x stable update. There are only about 10 patches
here as this release is primarily to set the stage for better
compatibility with the existing preempt-rt content in Yocto.

To that end, I've tested it with the Yocto kernel-cache preempt-rt
patches applied, and I've also done test merges of it to standard/base
and standard/preempt-rt/base.  As the merge to -rt required some
manual intervention, I'll provide you with those test merges out of
band for your reference while you are updating linux-yocto-4.8

As usual, I've put this 4.8.x queue through the various testing that I
figured made sense, which includes but is not limited to:

-x86-64 sanity boot test + workloads of defconfig on COTS Core2 box.
-build MIPS, PPC, ARM, ARM64 with defconfig
-build x86-64 allmodconfig/allyesconfig
-build i386 allmodconfig/allyesconfig
-build and boot test merge of this with -rt in Yocto.

I bumped the Makefile and did the signed tag just as per the previously
released 4.8.x versions.

Please find a signed v4.8.28 tag using this key:

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xEBCE84042C07D1D6

in the repo in my kernel.org directory here:

   https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux-4.8.y.git/
   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux-4.8.y.git

for merge to standard/base in linux-yocto-4.8 and then out from there
into the other base and BSP branches.

For those who are interested, the raw commits can be found here:

   https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/paulg/longterm-queue-4.8.git/

This repo isn't needed for anything; it just exists for reference.

Paul.