Hello everyone,

I just uploaded a draft version of a version 2 of the serial protocol
that is used to command the Redbee Econotags with the "serial" driver on
Linux. You can find the text here [1]. The specification for the version
1 can be found here [2] for a comparison (although I discussed the
changes in the draft). I think an update of the serial protocol is
needed for the following reasons:
- Econotag's capabilities have evolved since the serial protocol
version 1 has been written (hardware auto-ACK comes to mind).
- it's important to clean the protocol up a little, before trying to
send the serial driver upstream (removing the "zb" -> zigbee reference
for example).
- more devices and/or OS could make use of the protocol in the future,
a more formal specification and some more flexibility could be a good
thing.
- some current text description in the version 1 [2] is
ambiguous/under-specified; for example the "Get 64-bit address" returns
an 8-byte address, but the byte ordering is not clear.
- the current serial driver protocol is named "Serial protocol version
1". Obviously, it only makes sense if there is a version 2.

I have not yet updated the code that currently makes use of the serial
protocol (Econotag's firmware, serial driver, the virtual serial device
[3] (currently experimental)), because I intend to do so when this draft
document becomes more stable.

Please don't hesitate to provide some feedback (preferably on the
linux-zigbee mailing list).

Regards,
Tony

P.-S.: I cc'ed the mc1322x mailing list, because I believe Econotag's
user might be interested as well.

[1]:
https://github.com/linux-wpan/ieee802154-serial-protocol-version2/blob/master/ieee802154-serial-protocol-2.md
[3]: https://github.com/tcheneau/virtual-ieee802154-serial