From: Ian E. Gorman <iegor...@gmail.com>
Sent: 06 December 2023 16:44
To: tug <tug.willi...@gmail.com>
Cc: Linux-Ottawa <linux@linux-ottawa.org>
Subject: Re: [linux] December 7th Meeting announcement

Attention : courriel externe | external email
I would like to submit three recent scripts, which I wrote to deal with ebook
difficulties on my Victor Reader ( a "talking book"  reader with text-to-voice
capability).

heading-numbers.awk makes a HTML page more readable in my Victor Reader.  A
HTML page works as well as an ePub or DAISY book, but often does not have
heading numbers. The absence of heading numbers makes it difficult to navigate
a very long page via hearing, because you don't know where you are in the file.
 This awk program puts multilevel heading numbers at the start of every
heading.  The victor Reader can be set to jump from one heading to another at
any level from 1 to 6, allowing me to quickly zero in on the part of the page I
want.

I wrote the other two scripts to troubleshoot a problem where my Victor Reader
would not jump to some of the headings in the ePub,

epubcheck.sh runs the W3C ePub Validator.  It is easy to run the validator
correctly but the script allows me to park the package in a subdirectory of the
bin directory and run the validator with a simple command that is on my PATH.
The validator showed that my problem ebook was a valid ePub 2.0.1 file.

<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=e676b26630&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r2437192347788727639&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=f_lpu7k5tg1>
html-headings.awk
 extracts headings from an HTML or ePub file.  I unzipped the ePub file to and
empty directory and rand the command

<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=e676b26630&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r2437192347788727639&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=f_lpu7k5tg1>
html-headings.awk
  *.html > all-headings.txt
The command produced a list of 272 headings, one to a line.

I looked at the headings and CSS file, could not see a reason for the behaviour
and submitted a report to the manufacturer.

Both AWK programs use a feature of AWK to make the job easy: the record
separators (RS and ORS, normally both are line-ends) are arbitrary,  Changing
the record separators to '<' places every tag at the beginning of a line,
making it easy to identify the tags you want to work with.

On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 11:45 PM tug