So, the other day: I was investigating Windows XP running from a raw disk
partition under VMware on a Ubuntu Kosmic Linux Desktop.

This is the dual desktop scenario on the same PC, where previously they are
dual-booted Lin/Win OS partiton off the same physical disk.

I got it working except...

1.  It requires a specific build of kernel modules.  Some bloke was nice enough
to post a script which patches up the kernel headers for the latest Ubuntu
included release Linux-2.6.31.  Then all the modules compile and the vmware
server is installed.

2.  However, it still didn't allow the VM to be powered on.  So, I went
searching and found the answer - disable/uninstall qemu_kvm kernel mods which
are now default is Ubuntu.  Oh *of course*, no wonder the vm monitor returned
an error, another hypervisor reigns default.    I powered on the VM, and it was
all green.  OK, so far so good -- but then..

3. No graphics: Once my test VM is powered on, the darn console still doesn't
connect as expected.  Just a few minor releases back the VMware Remote Console
was stable and worked well (enough) to make a keep.

So what is the issue with Vmware Server 2.0.2?  It drops (IMHO required)
support for remote console and provides a web interface with plug-in instead.

This is similar method to many remote service adapter in the hardware
management boards w/ web console interface accessible on the management IP.

But.. LOL, the Firefox 3.6 which ships with Kosmic is *too new* to accept the
VMware javascript code which ran just a few versions back and the grafted on
proprietary vmware plug-in which glues your console into the browser window
doesn't get starting.

Running it under Konqi and some other browsers got me no further forward.  In
fact the plug-in wouldn't install by default.  For kicks I tried installing the
plug-in EXE under Internet Explorer in Wine.  Yeck, no go.

I am contemplating using this by downgrading a version of FF to get the older
js support.  Or just use headless and RDP/VNC into the Windows VM running on
vmware under Linux.  But what happens if Windows doesn't boot-up and get
network?  I suppose then you just reboot into Windows and fix it, but that kind
of blows from the integration standpoint.  Parallels on Mac is light-years
ahead.

This is one more reason to give lay users a pre-integrated Linux ready to run
Windows applications on the Desktop, or it's a tough sell in the Office/Desktop
market.  The latest Ubuntu just doesn't give you that, unless I am overlooking
a simpler way.

VirtuaBox is another option which I've evaluated, but I wasn't able to reckon
how to get the raw disk support enabled, which is really quite important to me
in this scenario.  I don't want another Windows instance stuck in a VDI or VMDK
when I already have a Windows Desktop install, customise as required.

I did contemplate rigging something up under Linux, but did not get far in the
short time I've spent so far.

Conclusion:

I am not opposed to giving this another go as running Linux under Vmware under
Windows doesn't do it for me.

I am quite happy when I have the responsive and elegant Ubuntu Desktop running.
 But can't afford to not have Windows on this Workstation for various tasks.

Some Vmware employed dude blogged about his attempt running the VI Client under
Wine/Linux, but gets so far and cautions "don't use this in prod", as He
discovers it doesn't quite work reliably.  Oh well, at least the command line
tools are Linux.

-AF