OK, will just dive in and see what happens, and use the list for any problems...
Thanks, Anthony Winner WalkAbout Computers [EMAIL PROTECTED] (561)712-1200 x221 -----Original Message----- From: Eric W. Biederman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Eric W. Biederman Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 10:52 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: LinuxBIOS Subject: Re: OEM looking at LinuxBIOS "Anthony Winner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: > Eric, > > Thanks, will start with the freebios2 tree. Which of the howto's is a good > 'from scratch' roadmap to get me started.... I really don't know the state of the howto's at this point. Generally good advice is to examine another port that is similar. Eric > Anthony Winner > WalkAbout Computers > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > (561)712-1200 x221 > > > -----Original Message----- > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Eric W. Biederman > Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 11:06 AM > To: Hendricks David W. > Cc: Anthony Winner; [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Subject: Re: OEM looking at LinuxBIOS > > > "Hendricks David W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: > > > There is already 82803 and 82801ca code in the freebios1 tree, might as > > well put it to good use :) I think Eric Beiderman was even able to fix > > SPD, at least on the MCH4 (Or something). > > > > On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Anthony Winner wrote: > > > > > Hello all, > > > > > > I work for a OEM and I'm playing with the idea of using linuxBIOS, I > have > > > all of the technical info for the machine short of the actual source > code to > > > the Phoenix BIOS we use now as it was done by a contractor before I > joined > > > the company. > > > > > > Are there any pointers for a 'from scratch', implementation? > > > > > > Should I start with the old code or start fresh from the new freebios2 > tree? > > > > > > For reference, the machine is a Intel PIII with a 82830 Northbridge, a > > > 82801ca Southbridge, TI pci1450 card bus controller, and a pair of SMC > SIO > > > chips.... > > I don't think we have good support for th 82830 at this time so the > freebios2 > tree would be the one to work with. You get romcc so you can code the > memory initialization in C. If you know what you are doing a huge chunk of > assembly is tolerable. But doing things in C prevents a lot of stupid > typos. > > I just looked the code in the freebios1 tree for the 82830 does not even > attempt to do SPD based memory initialization so it will not work with > arbitrary memory. So definitely freebios2 using some of the freebios1 > code as reference. > > I don't think the freebios1 tree can code with a pair of superio chips > either. > > The freebios2 tree comes with multiple devices of the same type trivially. > > Eric > _______________________________________________ > Linuxbios mailing list > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > http://www.clustermatic.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxbios _______________________________________________ Linuxbios mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.clustermatic.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxbios

