On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:40, beneo wrote:
> Thanks Peter and Nathanale for your reply. I will try the things you guys
> listed in the email and let you know.
>
> I have one more question on the comment Peter made,
> >Peter Wrote:
> > Indeed, this is another option. But a new kernel is still neccessary
> > since the one in the ELF image (/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8smp.img) came
> > with neither ext3 nor IDE drivers.
>
> My question is, if initd-2.4.20-8smp.img doesn't understand ext3 and don't
> have IDE driver, why I can boot everything from HD using AMI BIOS? The
> initd-2.4.20-8smp.img is the same for both LinuxBIOS boot and AMI BIOS boot.
> I assume after ramdisk loaded, Kernel would rely on Linux IDE driver and no
> longer make any BIOS hard drive service call, right?

Correct.

If you ask me, you have two possible problems. 1) LinuxBIOS isn't
setting up the IDE controller properly so that your kernel can't find it
or 2) Something in the moving the kernel and initrd to the tftp
server/system didn't work. As you are trying to ultimately boot directly
from the local machine, I would use FILO. You may also want to post the
kernel message on boot (all/most of them) so that developers here can
see if there is something they recognize as being in error. I won't be
able to help you unless it is obvious. I just find setting up a FILO
boot to be easier then the network kind, which is likely because I
understand it better, and have done it more.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gnat Solutions