On Monday 19 December 2005 14:23, Rony Bill wrote:
>
> I know about the loopback localhost 127.0.0.1 thing. I even use it in
> the /etc/hosts file to cut out bad and ad websites. I am only
> reporting what I saw. There was a network icon in the task bar with
> active tx/rx connection. On right clicking it, it had the name 'lo'.
> I was expecting eth0 but that was not the case. We did not go to
> ifconfig as we were worried about security or intrusion so we simply
> rebooted. It had already done 300kbytes. It was a Ubuntu 5.10 live
> CD. If anyone else has a lappy with the same card, they can try this
> cd. The client is in imp/ex and his data was too precious to take any
> risks.
>

Something was surely fishy. Instead of relying on the GUI, you should've 
checked out the ip / mac address of the wireless interface. If it is lo 
then there is no way the wifi card was active. As I always stress, 
never believe the GUIs always use the command line to verify whether 
the GUI is telling you the truth or lying :P

-- 
Dinesh A. Joshi

-- 
http://mm.glug-bom.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxers

Reply via email to