Dinesh Joshi wrote:
The editor of PCQ has responded that they have _not_ violated the GNU
GPL as they have modified only anaconda and the init scripts of FC4.
_I'm stumped_ :O How in the world have they "remastered" an entire
distro without modifying anything other than anaconda and the init
scripts? They claim to have distributed the sources of anaconda along
with PCQLinux 2006. I believe them.
If thats the case then I am shocked as to how can someone: 1. FUBAR
hardware detection 2. Introduce a whole lotta bugs 3. Break packages
by simply editing anaconda and the init scripts...?
I think they have craftily tried to skirt the gpl issue. From the
installation and their claims it appears that they may have not modified
individual packages so their claim that they are intact as the source.
Their major goof up IMHO is in ripping apart the FC4 package, taking
only the kernel and fusing non-compatible rpm packages into a Bhel Puri
Linux distribution that turned out to be a buggy disaster.
For example, FC4 does not ship with Firefox 1.5. It comes with the older
version. When I had tried to install 1.5 manually, it had given some
compilation errors. Even the FC4 rpm repos did not contain Firefox 1.5 then.
However it was crammed into the Bhel Puri Linux 2006 distro and I had
mouse trouble while trying to configure it.
This brings to my mind a question about declarations. If a distro
developer takes an official distro package, rips in apart and
re-assembles it with non-compatible but un-modified individual packages
then to what extent is he liable to declare the changes he has made to
the original *package* and on whom does the burden of proof lie in
proving that the packages are original in source code?
In this case does the mere declaration of non-modification of original
source codes absolve PCQ of providing any proofs of the same?
Regards,
Rony.
Wow if it's really true then I am speechless. ms guys are really good
at what they do :O
And the threats galore. Now they think someone opening their mouth is
defamation... >_<
___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
--
http://mm.glug-bom.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxers